Pages

Friday, April 10, 2009

Joy Comes In the Morning. Alleluia!

(An excerpt from my devotional journal) Why I Celebrate Easter

1 Corinthians: 5 "...so that your faith might not rest on man's wisdom, but on God's power."

Thought: God, I remember how I struggled with the former things I had learned about you, and my pursuit of you through good works. It all seemed right, that I must earn my way to heaven. It was logical since my knowledge of you was to do the work; earn the reward, or, fail. It depended on me and how I lived my life. I was to work hard to get the prize. It went against the gift of grace, that a 'mighty and powerful God' was offering me eternity with him, just as I was. Bringing nothing from my past as a payment.

I clung to the wisdom of the world....and my life, with fierceness, not willing to unclench even one finger for fear that all I believed in would dissolve. My life was live by a ridged set of rules, imposed by well intentioned people who loved me and thought these rules would help me secure the 'good life'.

But, as I've discovered, law without redemption and grace, holds no power. Only pain and loss. It doesn't produce fruit and joy, only guilt and anger. It leaves no room for peace, but stirs resentment and judgement.

How are we to live like this? How are we to have any hope of others desiring to know our God?

For behind a heart of man made, ever changing rules, lies a continual sense of restlessness and longing, void of all that we hope for in this life and the next.

A mighty, loving, forgiving and understanding Creator loves us for who we are and longs to be our Father. He has made a way through his beloved son, Jesus. A gift to me and all who will accept that gift.

Only you, Lord, have been able to give this to me. No wonder this Easter morning I can proclaim, Alleluia! Alleluia!

2 comments:

Admin said...

I'm sorry I did not see this post until today...almost 3 months after you posted it. Yet, it was exactly what I needed today!

God's richest blessings to you!

Rebecca said...

Sue, I see you aren't posting on this blog the past year, sent a friend request via facebook, but couldn't send a message - so hoping you might get this...

I saw your comment on Deb Raney's facebook post and caught my breath! I remember your family from when our children were at Blackhawk together!

Gary and I moved back to the area about 6 years ago. We live in Harlan. I read some of your blog re. Jim's accident, etc. and am so curious as to how you are doing, where your children are, etc.

So hopeful you get this! Anna and Amber were friend. As soon as I hear more, I'll let Amber know.

God bless you and take care of you, Sue.