Tuesday, March 20, 2007

My cell phone rang insistently as I waited on my last customer at work.

Since Jim's accident, the cell phone and I have been inseparable. It is my one link between good news or bad news about my husbands state of health. Going back to work after 5 weeks of living at the hospital was wrenching. But, true to who I am, once there - I try to be totally devoted.

The continuous, shrill ringing of my phone, jangled my nerves as I fought to concentrate on answering my customers questions. It had rang a couple of times before. From the corner of my eye, I could see my daughter in law(also our office manager) walk quickly towards me with a phone in her hand. Handing me the phone with concern on her face she said, "Sue, It's your sister, about Jim. The hospital has been trying to get in touch with you."

I excused myself and looked towards my boss, standing off to the side. Without hesitation, he was by my side in an instant.

" Sue, you go take that. I'll take care of this gentleman."

Shooting him a grateful look, I took the phone from my daughter-in-law and said "Hello"

It was my sister, Patty. "Sue, the hospital has been trying to reach you. When they couldn't get you, they called mom and she called me. I knew you would be at work. Call them right away. Jim is talking!"

"What?" Was I hearing right? He hadn't said a word since he was first in a coma in January. In fact, we were not given much hope for his recovery, much less talking. Thanking my sister, I quickly dialed the hospital number and reached his therapist.

"Sue, I'm so glad they reached you. Jim's talking, hurry, get down here!"

Signaling my boss I was leaving, I ran to my car. Much like my ride to the hospital after my kids called to tell me Jim was seriously hurt, I don't remember the drive getting there. Upon entering the therapy area of the hospital, I could sense the excitement among the staff. Within seconds, the lady who called me to tell me the news, threw her arms around me and gave me a hug. " I couldn't wait to tell you. I was in his room and his music was playing. He seemed to enjoy it as he waved his hands to the rhythm. I asked him something and in a clear voice he said "I believe."

"What did he say?" I stuttered, looking at her in amazement.

He said, "I believe, and a few more small words. "

Still in awe, I looked past her and several other therapist and caught the smiling face of my husband, sitting in his wheelchair, very alert and aware of his surroundings. Walking towards him, his eyes focused on mine and his smile warmed me.

As much as they tried, the therapist could not coax another word from him that day. Although I longed to hear his voice, my heart was at rest, knowing he was back...and Our Mighty God, performed yet another miracle on our behalf.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.



Joni said...

I just read your post on the other blog, too. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes, and rejoicing in God's goodness!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are keeping this blog. When I look back on the earlier writings it brings back emotions and memories. You have a real talent for expressing your feelings in written form. What a gift!

Paula said...

Wow. Talking. This is huge. Praising God with you.

Joni said...

Please check my newest post on my blog. (Entitled, "I've Been 'Tagged'") I know you're super busy. Please don't feel any obligation to do this silly tag thing. I had to come up with 8 names...

God bless. I'm still praying!